Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings,
turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.
— William Arthur Ward, Writer of Inspirational Maxims
Did you know according to Gallup 70 percent of today’s workforce, at some level, is not engaged? The unwillingness to communicate gratitude in the workplace accounts, in my mind, for much of this staggering statistic.
But our dismal state of affairs is correctable as the positive benefits of gratitude are overwhelming. John Templeton Foundation’s study on gratitude reports:
- Employees are less likely to express gratitude at work:
- 74% never or rarely express gratitude to their boss.
- Employees are eager to have a boss who expresses gratitude to them:
- 70 percent would feel better about themselves if their boss was more grateful
- 81 percent would work harder
- 93 percent agreed that grateful bosses are more likely to succeed
- Employees report saying “thank you” makes them feel happier and more fulfilled
- Only 60 percent said they never express gratitude at work or only once a year.
As gratitude is so beneficial, here are a couple of tips to expand this positive emotion in your life.
- Gratitude Journal: did you know, research shows that daily recording what you are grateful for has you feeling 25 percent happier? Evidence also shows it will increase your sense of well-being. What a gift to yourself!
- Give Gratitude: As you share with others what they have done that you are grateful about, make sure you are specific and offer details. Your “thanks” will have more impact and be more meaningful. Gratitude is contagious go out and spread the joy.
- Count Your Blessings: As you are traveling to work and then again on your way home, count your blessings. You always have a choice to measure your life based upon all the good around you or not. Which view of work would you prefer expanding?
Since living a life filled with gratitude is a choice, why not create the best emotional environment possible for yourself? Initiate the gratitude habits today. You will discover the gift gratitude is to you and everyone around you; more than that, you will see the goodness around you that you were blinded to before.